Monday, July 30, 2012

North Quad, North Quad

     The class on Friday was by far my favorite of the semester.  I was blown away by how useful all of the programs/apps were.  I actually have 3 of them and have never even come close to fully utilizing them.  My presentation on skype taught me just how much that program is capable.  It has so many third party apps that would be great for the classroom and keeping me organized in general.  I wish I had known this when I was in Greece last summer. It would have been great for using with my family and friends back home.  However, of all the programs, my favorite is Diigo.  I found it to be invaluable as a studying tool for myself.  I think that students of all ages could really benefit from using it.  Not only does it provide a great studying tool, but a community for studying and sharing important articles and ideas with the click of a button.

     I really just had a lot of fun working in the group and having everyone share what they learned.  It was really nice that we were all helping each other out with our programs.  I really felt like we had a real team aspect going on for us, and it was great.  I also liked being able to teach my peers something they hadn't known before.  It was interesting to hear everyone's unique takes on the programs and how they would apply them to life, and their classrooms.

    Finally, I enjoyed Kristin's teaching session at the end where she helped us set up our rss feeds and discussed social networking.  I thought she did a great job teaching on her own even though she had a huge class.  I found the rss feed to be incredibly helpful.  I am sad to see aviary go, since it was something I was looking forward to utilizing in class with my students, but I'm sure something similar will pop up.  Overall, it was a great class and the room in North Quad was really nice.  I wish every table had those outlets!

2 comments:

  1. I also really enjoyed the small group work and I felt like I learned a lot. I also liked Diigo the best--what did you think of Evernote? It seems like Diigo has everything and I too can see it being a great study tool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed the small group format a lot, too. I liked that we were each responsible for familiarizing ourselves with one tool so that we could explain it to our classmates. It's always nice when we get a chance to "teach" in class- I think this program does a nice job of giving us those kinds of opportunities for practice.

    ReplyDelete